Online Databases Available Pertaining to Aspects of the Indian Economy
Data or information or input, anything you may call it, are the absolute prerequisites before taking any decision, be it related to a business or an economy. Unavailability of the same leads to misinformed decisions which fail to reach targets. Therefore, data plays an extremely important role in research, and for further steps of improvement. Keeping this in mind, the Government of India for many years has been working tirelessly to create new datasets, or improve the existing ones. This article explores some of the datasets of various government policies and programmes that are available online and provide information from national-level to district-level or block-level.
Given the three-tier structure of governance, each level depending upon its authority, formulates policies regarding concerned areas. Herein, since the focus of the article is the online availability of data, solely the central government schemes and programmes are considered. Some of the schemes are run in urban and rural areas separately. The sectors or areas include water, accommodation, health, electricity, jobs, social assistance, women and child development, bank accounts, loans, and public amenities.
- Jal Jeevan Mission: Water is the basic necessity and having access to it is also an individual’s right. As the name suggests, this mission is related to providing piped water to each household in rural areas, in schools, and in priority areas. The dashboard of this mission gives a map and numbers of functional household tap connections in blocks, villages, panchayats, districts, and states. The progress of the mission can also be seen in percentages and numbers since the beginning of the mission.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin: Like water, shelter or accommodation is also a basic necessity of a person. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana was started to focus on building houses in the rural areas; the same scheme also exists for urban level. With login details, individuals can track the progress of their applications and other data can be accessed like the sub-district or taluka level related aspects such as financial disbursement, utilization and so on.
- Saubhagya Yojana: The objective of Pradhan Mantri Har Ghar Sahaj Bijlee Yojana aka Saubhagya Yojana rolled out by the Ministry of Power is to electrify each household in the country. All India household electrification and unelectrified data on a monthly and weekly basis can be accessed through the portal. The number of electrified households and work in progress in each state and district is available since 2017.
- Aayushman Bharat: For the provision of universal health services, under this scheme, Health and Wellness Centre (HWC) and Primary Health Centres (PHC) were opened to serve the communities in their own or in nearby villages. The data is available for state-level and district-level with respect to the number of each type of health care centre.
- Women and Child Development: The Ministry of Women and Child Development runs various programmes such as Mission Shakti, Poshan, Vatsalya, and Nirbhaya addressing various challenges faced by the women and children in the society. For each of the missions and steps that have been undertaken, the data is available on an all-India level and state-level.
- Employment-Unemployment: In India, the labour force is divided into two sectors, formal and informal or called organised and unorganised sectors. So far, the data for the formal sector workers was available through the Annual Survey of Industries (ASI) or recently, it was in discussion to use the Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) data. However, over the years, using Employment-Unemployment surveys of the National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO) the size and occupation of the unorganised sector workers used to be estimated. Now, these employment-unemployment surveys are replaced with Periodic Labour Force Surveys (PLFS) that have questionnaires about demographic, socio-economic details. These data sets are available from the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI). In addition to this, the Government of India has initiated a portal, E-Shram where unorganised sector workers across 31 main occupations with 501 sub-occupations are registering themselves. Along with occupations, the information is also available for state-wise, district-wise, gender-wise, income slabs, and social groups.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana: Having a bank account has been facilitating the Direct Benefit Transfer that is minimising or almost excluding any middle intervention. For the same purpose and also, for financial inclusion, Jan Dhan Yojana which helped open up a no-frill or zero balance account was started. The progress report or the statistics are available on state-level and type of banks.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sanman Nidhi: This scheme was started to provide financial assistance to the farmers. Under the scheme, income support of 6,000/- per year in three equal instalments will be provided to all landholding farmer families. The information provided on this portal is classified into three periods, Period 1: April-July; Period 2: August to November; Period 3: December to March. The data is given for states, districts, sub-districts to village levels. The village-level dashboard shows the details such as farmers registered; payment status: received all, received partially, no payment received; aadhar status: accepted, rejected, invalid, and pending for validation; online registration status: total registration received; rejected; accepted, and pending.
- Pradhan Mantri SvaNidhi: To formalise street vendors in the urban areas the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has initiated this scheme with the following objectives: (i) to facilitate working capital loan up to Rs.10,000; (ii) to incentivize regular repayment; and (iii) to reward digital transactions. The dashboard easily presents information on all-India level, state-level, and further, urban local body (ULB)-level regarding loans sanctioned, disbursed, eligible applications, lending institutions, gender, and social category.
- National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI): Over the years, the tendency towards online purchases has increased in India, and with these transactions through ATMs, UPI has increased. To capture this information, all-India annual, monthly, daily, volume-wise, state-wise, and district-wise data is available on the NPCI portal. Further, data can also be traced as per the location of transaction and product used.
- Mission Antyodaya: It is an umbrella programme by the Ministry of Rural Development along with other 27 Ministries/ Department of Government of India with the purpose to lend support to the process of participatory planning for Gram Panchayat Development Plan (GPDP). This portal gives state-wise, district-wise, and block-wise public amenities and infrastructure data required for village development. It includes data on a total of 30 sectors such as education, agriculture, land, animal husbandry, rural housing, drinking water, roads, rural electrification, non-conventional energy, community assets, fuel fodders, infrastructure, library, cultural activities, social welfare, and good governance, and so on.
These databases can help researchers, policy makers to understand the present-day scenario and plan future targets. The path of developing India involves the progress of socio-economic aspects and the standard of living of people which is the core and a common objective amongst these government schemes, missions, and programmes.
- Jal Jeevan Mission: https://ejalshakti.gov.in/jjmreport/JJMIndia.aspx
- PM Awas Yojana Grameen: https://rhreporting.nic.in/netiay/newreport.aspx
- Saubhagya Yojana: https://saubhagya.gov.in/
- Aayushman Bharat: http://ab-hwc.nhp.gov.in/
- Women and Child Development: https://wcd.dashboard.nic.in/
- Employment-Unemployment: https://eshram.gov.in/
- PM Jan Dhan Yojana: https://pmjdy.gov.in/statewise-statistics
- PM Kisan Sanman Nidhi: https://pmkisan.gov.in/gisdashboard/villagelevel.aspx
- PM SvaNidhi : https://www.pmsvanidhi.mohua.gov.in/Home/PMSDashboard
- National Payment Corporation of India: https://www.npci.org.in/statistics
- Mission Antyodaya : https://missionantyodaya.nic.in/preloginAnalytics2020.html
Knowledge-sharing platform is aimed at providing analytical insights into Economy, Public Policy and Foreign Policy.